Makes 12 rolls
6 tablespoons whole milk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1¾ teaspoons active dry yeast
3 tablespoons warm water (105°F to 110°F)
3 cups bread flour
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Egg wash (1 large egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water)
Nutritional information per serving (1 roll): Calories 177 (31% from fat) • carb. 26g • pro. 4g • fat 6g • sat. fat 4g • Col. 31mg • sod. 107mg • calc. 11mg • fiber 1g
1. In a small saucepan, combine 6 tablespoons each whole milk and butter with 3 tablespoons sugar. Warm over low heat until the butter is melted. Remove from heat and reserve.
2. In a 2-cup measuring cup, dissolve 1¾ teaspoons yeast into 3 tablespoons warm water. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
3. Insert Dough Blade. Add 3 cups bread flour and ¾ teaspoon salt to work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid. The processor is set to sift for 15 seconds on Speed
4. Add cooled milk mixture to the proofed yeast. With the machine running on Speed 10, slowly add the liquid ingredients, including the egg, through the Steam Vent. (con't)
5. Continue to process, adding 1-2 tablespoons water if necessary, until a dough ball forms. Process an additional 45 seconds to knead the dough.
6. Gather dough. Remove Dough Blade and put dough back into the Work Bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid with Steam Cap in place.
7. The cooking time is set for 45 minutes at 85°F to proof.
8. While dough is proofing, preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly butter a 9-inch round baking pan.
9. When time expires, punch down and divide into 12 equal pieces, about 2 ounces each.
10. Roll into smooth rounds and arrange in prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 to 40 minutes.
11. When ready to bake, brush rolls with the egg wash. Bake until golden brown and internal temperature is 200°F, about 15 minutes.
12. Remove rolls from pan and leave to cool on a rack for about 10 minutes before serving. For softer rolls, brush with melted butter right out of the oven.