• For Hollandaise:
• 5 large egg yolks
• ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• ¾ cup European Butter
• 2 tablespoons Louisiana Hot Sauce
• 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
• ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
• For Stuffed Avocados:
• 1 teaspoon capers
• 1 teaspoon roasted red pepper
• 1 scallion
• ½ cup fresh crabmeat
• 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
• 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
• 4 large eggs
• 2 tablespoons white vinegar
• 2 cups water
• 4 ripe large avoados
• 12 slices Bacon
• 4 cups canola oil
No nutrition information available
1. For Hollandaise:
2. Set a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water.
3. Whisk egg yolks and orange juice together until completely incorporated.
4. Whisk in butter, a little at a time, not adding more until what you’ve just added is completely melted in.
5. Whisk in salt, pepper and Louisiana hot sauce, then set aside.
6. *If hollandaise tightens up too much by the time the rest of the dish is done, whisk in 1-2 tablespoons of orange juice.
7. For Stuffed Avocados:
8. Chop capers, red pepper and scallion fairly small and add to a bowl with the crab meat, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Gently fold together and set aside.
9. Crack eggs into individual ramekins and set aside.
10. Add vinegar and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
11. Working with one at a time, gently pour eggs into simmering water and poach for 1 minute, or until egg whites have completely enveloped the yolks. Remove with a slotted spoon and dab on a paper towel or clean kitchen cloth. Set aside.
12. Cut avocados in half and remove the pits. Scoop about 1 tablespoon of flesh out of each avocado half, doubling the size of the hole.
13. Place 1 teaspoon of crab filling into each avocado half, gently pressing crab down and up the sides of the hole.
14. Using a large spoon, gently scoop the crab stuffed avocado halves out of the shells.
15. Place one poached egg in one avocado half, right on top of the crab and top with the other crab stuffed avocado half, sealing the egg and crabmeat inside.
16. Completely wrap sealed avocado with 3 slices of bacon, covering all the outside flesh, and making sure to gently pull on the bacon so it doesn’t loosen when fried. Secure with 1 or 2 wooden toothpicks.
17. Repeat the last 2 steps with the remaining avocados, eggs and bacon.
18. Pour canola oil into a heavy bottomed saucepan and bring to 375 degrees.
19. Working with one at a time, gently place the wrapped avocados in the oil and fry for 3-4 minutes or until bacon is beautifully crisp.
20. Drain avocados on a paper towel lined plate and remove toothpicks once avocados are cool enough to touch.
21. Plate over fresh greens individually, or on a communal platter, and drizzle with the orange hollandaise.
23. *any extra avocado and crabmeat can be combined with some crisp chopped bacon and diced jalapeño for a delicious chip dip