This soft, moist dough makes delicious and light scones. We made ours plain, but you may add dried fruit such as currants, tart cherries or blueberries if you like.
Makes 8 scones
2 large eggs
2⁄3 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
3¼ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 large egg white, beaten with a fork until frothy
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
No nutrition information available
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment.
- Beat eggs until smooth with a fork or whisk.
- Stir in yogurt and reserve.
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in the Cuisinart™ mixing bowl.
- Insert flat mixing paddle. Stir on speed 1 for 15 to 20 seconds. Add butter and mix until flour mixture is slightly crumbly about 1 minute. Add yogurt/egg mixture and mix on speed 1 for 30 to 40 seconds. Scrape the bowl and paddle, and mix until just blended on speed 1. Do not over-mix. Dough will be soft and slightly sticky.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead with floured hands 4 times. (Flatten, fold, repeat 4 times.)
- Divide into 2 equal parts; flatten into two 5- to 6-inch rounds. Use a serrated knife or pizza cutter to cut each into 4 wedges.
- Arrange in rounds on prepared baking sheet, with the wedges about 1 inch apart.
- Brush with egg white. Mix the tablespoon of sugar with the cinnamon, and sprinkle on wedges.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 400° F oven. Cool on a wire rack 5 minutes before serving.
Notes: You may add 1⁄3 to ½ cup dried fruits such as dried blueberries, cherries, raspberries, chopped apricots, dried chopped mango, or currants.