These blintzes are a healthy and delicious way to start your breakfast day.
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup all-purpose unbleached flour
1⅓ cup low-fat milk
1 table spoon vegetable oil
½ teaspoon salt
1 table spoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
For filling: 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
2 table spoons powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Honey for drizzle
For compote: 1 cup berries, 2 table spoons sugar, ½ cup water, ½ teaspoon vanilla, 1 table spoon cornstarch mixed with 1 table spoon water
No nutrition information available
1. Combine all the dry ingredients together. In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and vanilla.
2. Mix together all the wet and dry ingredients thoroughly until no lumps remain.
3. Heat a large skillet or a wide crepe pan until sizzling hot. Lightly brush with vegetable oil. Pour about ¾ ladle full onto the pan and quickly shake around the pan to spread the batter evenly. Cook for about 1 minute on one side, flip around and cook for 20-30 seconds on another. Proceed in the same manner with the rest of crepes.
4. Transfer crepes on a plate and fold in half from two sides like an envelope.
5. For compote: combine blueberries or strawberries in a pan with sugar, water and vanilla. Bring to boil. Turn down the heat. Add in cornstarch mixture, stir and cook on low for about 1 minute.
6. To fill, open up each crepe, smear a teaspoon of ricotta cheese along the center of each crepe, fold in half from two sides and lay on a plate. Stack the rest of crepes. Drizzle tops of crepes lightly with honey. Top with warm berry compote. Serve warm.