When making the bacon for these waffles, be sure to save the bacon grease to incorporate into the batter – it gives the waffles a tasty smoky flavor. If that is too intense, vegetable oil can be used in its place.
6 full waffles (24 waffle wedges)
- 3½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 to 10 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (about ½ to ¾ cup crumbled)
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup bacon grease and/or grapeseed or vegetable oil
Nutritional information per waffle wedge:
Calories 164 (43% from fat) • carb. 19g • pro. 5g • fat 8g
• sat. fat 1g • chol. 27mg • sod. 174mg
• calc. 49mg • fiber 0g
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl; whisk to blend. Stir in the bacon to coat. Add the buttermilk, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla and the grease/oil. Whisk until combined. Let batter rest 5 minutes before using.
- Preheat the Cuisinart® Waffle Maker to desired setting (a tone will sound when preheated).
- Pour 1 cup of batter onto the center of the lower grid of the preheated waffle maker; spread evenly using a heatproof spatula. Close cover of waffle maker. When tone sounds, waffle is ready. Open cover and carefully remove baked waffle. Repeat with remaining batter. For best results, serve immediately.