Makes 12 muffins
nonstick cooking spray
1¾ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
½ cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 tablespoon flax seeds
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
½ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¾ cup dried cranberries
½ cup toasted, chopped walnuts
Nutritional information per muffin: Calories 280 (27% from fat) • carb. 46g • pro. 6g • fat 9g • sat. fat 3g • chol. 46mg • sod. 362mg • calc. 49mg • fiber 2g
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a regular 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray; reserve.
2. Put the flour, oats, flax seeds, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl. Insert the mixing beaters into the Cuisinart® Hand Mixer. Mix on speed 1 until combined, about 20 seconds. Reserve.
3. Put the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Starting on speed 3, gradually increasing to speed 4, mix until lightened and well-combined, about 1½ minutes.
4. In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla together. Using the hand mixer on speed 1 add one third of the dry ingredients. Once almost fully mixed in, add half of the wet ingredients. Repeat, ending with the last third of the dry mixture. Add the cranberries and walnuts and gently mix until just combined.
5. Spoon evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.