Would you believe that this pancake pie is virtually free of added sugar? That's right, thanks to natural sweetness of banana and berries that went into the batter mix! Made with 100% whole wheat flour. The texture is so light and fluffy and blueberries just melt in your mouth. What is a better way to brighten up a breakfast morning while giving you a healthy boost in nutrition.
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 table spoons of milk
1 mashed banana
1 cup blueberries
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon or regular cinnamon
2 table spoons of unsalted butter (melted)
2 table spoons of almond meal (optional)
For blueberry filling: 1/2 cup of blueberries
1 banana (mashed)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
For middle layer: 1-2 bananas cut into small thin circles
1 teaspoon of cinnamon sugar for dusting (mix one teaspoon of sugar with a pinch of cinnamon).
Sour cream (for topping)
No nutrition information available
1. In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs with milk, melted butter and vanilla. Add mashed banana and mix.
3. Mix together the wet and dry ingredients. Fold in blueberries and gently stir with a spatula.
4. Spray a large skillet with nonstick vegetable spray and heat over medium- high heat. With a ladle pour about 1/3 cup full of batter for each pancake and spread it evenly around the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes on one side until bubbles form and edges are brown. Flip and cook for 30 seconds on another side. Repeat the same procedure for the rest of the batter. Spray with vegetable spray before cooking each pancake.
5. To prepare blueberry sauce, in a small saucepan place blueberries, banana, cinnamon and ginger powder. Bring to a simmer on medium heat, stir and cook stirring for about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
6. To assembly, put one pancake on a plate, spoon about 1 teaspoon of filling on top, layer with banana slices, put the next one on top and keep layering until the last pancake. Lightly dust the very top pancake layer with cinnamon/sugar. Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream.