Dried fruit, like cherries, substitute very well for the apples.
Makes 12 muffins
¼ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup pecans or walnuts, toasted and chopped
¼ teaspoon table salt
1½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon table salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅓ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
¾ cup lowfat buttermilk
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 medium apple, peeled, cored and cut into ¼-inch cubes (if using dried fruit, use 1 cup)
Calories 250 (46% from fat) • carb. 32g • pro. 3g • fat 13g • sat. fat 4g • chol. 30mg • sod. 310mg • calc. 27mg • fiber 1g
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a 12-cup regular muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. Reserve.
2. Prepare the crumb topping. In a small bowl, mix the first 6 ingredients together with a fork, reserve.
3. In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; reserve.
4. In the bowl of the Cuisinart Hand Stand Mixer add the sugar, buttermilk and oil. Fitted with the flat beaters, mix on speed 3 for about 30 seconds, or until completely combined.
5. With the hand stand mixer running, add the egg and mix until well blended. Mix in the vanilla. Reduce to speed 1. Add the flour mixture and fruit and mix until just combined. Spoon evenly into prepared muffin cups and top with the reserved crumb topping.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.