This zesty Italian-inspired dish would make a great addition to any brunch menu.
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped, plus 1 garlic clove, halved
1 small onion, finely chopped
¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 sprigs fresh basil (10 to 12 large leaves), plus more for garnish
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup dry white wine
1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled plum tomatoes with juices, roughly chopped
¼ cup heavy cream
6 1-inch thick slices ciabatta bread
6 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano
6 large eggs, room temperature
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 241 (56% from fat) • carb. 13g • pro. 11g • fat 15g • sat. fat 6g
• chol. 204mg • sod. 682mg • calc. 67mg • fiber 2g
1. Put 1 tablespoon of the oil into a medium saucepan set over medium heat.
2. When the oil is hot add the chopped garlic, onion and red pepper flakes. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the basil, salt and pepper. Add the wine and deglaze the pan with a wooden spoon. Cook until wine is completely reduced. Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and partially cover. Simmer sauce for 1 hour, to allow flavors to develop and reduce slightly.
4. Stir in heavy cream and remove sauce from heat. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour the sauce into a shallow baking (either a 9-inch square or oval baking pan, about 1 quart). Reserve.
5. Evenly arrange the ciabatta slices directly on the rack with the rack in the upper position. Set oven to Broil and toast for about 10 to 11 minutes, flipping the slices halfway through, until both sides are golden brown. Remove and immediately rub the toast with the halved garlic and drizzle with remaining oil.
6. Switch the oven rack to the middle position and switch to Bake at 375°F. Sprinkle the Pecorino all over the tomato sauce. Carefully crack the eggs into the sauce, keeping the yolks intact.
7. Place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until whites are just set.
8. To serve, spoon an egg with sauce directly onto a slice of toast and garnish with torn basil. Eat with a knife and fork.
Note: If using the TOB-260 model, bread can be toasted on the "Toast" function. Bake eggs on position 2 at 350˚F for 15 minutes.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!