1 cup water, room temperature
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed
3 ¼ cup bread flour
2¼ teaspoons yeast, active dry, instant or bread machine
2 cups water
2 tablespoons baking soda
Calories 141 (4% from fat) • carb 28g • pro 5g • fat 1g • sat fat 0g • chol 0mg • sod 939mg •calc 8mg •
1. Place the water, salt, brown sugar, bread flour and yeast, in the order listed (do not add the second amount of water or baking soda) into the bread pan fitted with the kneading paddle and secure in the Cuisinart Bread Maker. Press menu button to select the dough program. Press start button to mix, knead and rise. For best mixing results, scrape the pan 10 to 15 minutes after the program has started.
2. When cycle is completed, remove dough and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each ball into a thin rope. Twist dough into a pretzel shape and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic and allow pretzels to rest for about 20-30 minutes.
Stir together the 2 cups of water and baking soda together in a small bowl.
3. Place a 6-quart saucepan filled with water over high heat and bring to a boil. Preheat oven to 425°F.
4. Once pretzels have rested and water comes to a boil, carefully slide one pretzel into the boiling water at a time flipping each after 1½ minutes. Boil for 3 minutes total. Allow pretzels to drain on a wire cooling rack.
5. Dip each pretzel into the stirred baking soda solution and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake in the oven until dark and golden, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. When pretzels are finished, transfer to a wire cooling rack.