2 large russet potatoes, about 1 lb, peeled
2¼ teaspoons dry active yeast
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
1½ tablespoons nonfat dry milk
1 large egg
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 152 (8% from fat) • carb. 28g • pro. 8g
• fat 1g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 22mg • sod. 447mg
• calc. 102mg • fiber 1g
Notable nutrients based on daily percentages:
Riboflavin 20% • Thiamin 19%
1. Turn the Cuisinart Juice Extractor to speed 5. Turn the unit on and juice the potatoes. Stir the juice and reserve ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon. Reserve all of the pulp (about 2 cups), being sure to discard any large pieces of potato.
2. Put the potato juice, yeast and sugar into the bowl of a Cuisinart Stand Mixer fitted with the dough hook. Stir well to dissolve yeast and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Mixture will foam and bubble - this means the yeast is alive and active.
3. Put the flour, salt, butter, and dry milk in a separate bowl and stir. Add half to the yeast mixture and mix on speed 3 until fully combined, being sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula. Add the egg and pulp; mix to combine.
4. Continuing on speed 3, add the remaining flour mixture, ½ cup at a time, mixing completely, about 30 to 40 seconds, until no flour is visible after each addition. The dough at first will be a batter, and slowly, as the flour is added, the batter will become a complete ball of dough that cleans the sides of the mixing bowl.
5. After the flour mixture has been incorporated (you may not need all of the flour), mix on speed 3 for 3 to 4 minutes to knead the dough.
6. Dust dough ball lightly with flour and place in a seal-able food storage bag; press out air and seal. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
7. Punch dough down and shape into a loaf. Place loaf in a lightly greased 8 or 9-inch loaf pan and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise 30 to 40 minutes, or until doubled in size.
8. While dough is rising, preheat oven to 375°F.
9. Bake bread in preheated oven 50 to 60 minutes until browned and hollow sounding when tapped. Cool on a wire rack. Bread slices best when allowed to cool completely before slicing.