Wonderful light cornbread with the taste of hush-puppies.
1 lb (4 sticks) butter or 2 1/2 cups cooking oil (Canola or Vegetable)
14 cups or 7 lbs Hush-puppy Mix with Onion (preferably Sweet Betsy from Atkinson Mills)
4 tbsp salt
4 cups sugar/Splenda or substitute
4 cups Maple Syrup
18 Eggs, slightly beaten
3 quarts Milk/Buttermilk
No nutrition information available
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Put one stick each into about four trays about [20 3/4" x 12 13/16" x 2 3/16] stainless steel or disposable food trays. Cover bottom of tray with approx 1/4 to 1/2 inches of oil. Adjust to size of your trays. Fill trays about 1/4 to 1/2 inches with oil and about 1/2 to 2/3 full with batter.
3. Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
4. Mix eggs into milk, then stir this into dry ingredients, combine until slightly thick batter is reached. The consistency of the combined dry and wet ingredients should be like a thick pancake batter
5. Put pans in oven.
6. When butter/oil is melted and hot (5-10 minutes, 365°F), remove pan from oven, pour batter into it and smooth top. In a 2-inch deep pan fill about 1/2 full.
7. Return pan to oven. Bake until lightly browned and sides have pulled away from pan, about 25-30 minutes. Internal temp 185°F at center of cornbread, a toothpick inserted into center will come out clean. The cornbread should brown slightly top, bottom and sides.
8. Cool pans propped up so bottom cools - about 1/2 hour or more
9. Each pan should yield approx 32 pieces for approx 128 total pieces
10. Serve with Honey Butter or Unsalted Butter.