Serve as warm dinner bread, or let cool and use for sandwiches.
1 teaspoon sugar
2¼ teaspoons (1 packet) active dry yeast
⅓ cup warm (105°F) water
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 ounces aged provolone
2 ounces asiago cheese
3 ⅓ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons Italian herbs (mixed herb blend)
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1¼ teaspoons salt
1 cup cold water
Calories 143 (26% from fat) · carb 21g· protein 6g · fat 4g · sat fat 2g · chol 8mg · sod 288mg · calc 91mg · fiber 1g
1. Combine sugar, yeast and warm water in a 2-cup liquid measure and stir. Let stand 5 minutes until foamy.
2. Insert metal "s" blade in Cuisinart® Food Processor. Chop garlic, 10 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl. Add olive oil; process 5 seconds. Remove and reserve. Insert 4-mm shredding disc; use medium pressure to shred both cheeses. Remove ¼ cup shredded cheese and reserve; leave remaining shredded cheese in work bowl. Remove shredding disc and insert dough blade. Place the flour, herbs, mustard powder, and salt in work bowl.
3. Process 10 seconds to blend; scrape work bowl. Add cold water to yeast mixture and stir to combine. With machine running (use dough speed if on processor), add yeast mixture to flour in a slow steady stream as fast as flour will absorb it.
4. After dough forms a ball, process 50 seconds to knead. Transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl or resealable food storage bag. Cover/seal and let rise, about 45 minutes to an hour, until doubled.
5. Preheat oven to 425°F. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces. Roll each into a 10 - inch rope and shape into a knot. Place on parchment lined baking sheet, cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise, about 45 minutes to an hour, until doubled.
6. Brush with garlic oil and sprinkle with reserved shredded cheese. Bake in preheated 425°F oven for 16 to 20 minutes until lightly browned. Remove to a rack to cool slightly before serving.