Makes 8 servings
⅓ cup warm water (105-115°F)
1 envelope active dry yeast
4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
chopped fresh or dried herbs, sun dried tomatoes, olives, etc. (optional)
Calories 334 (34% from fat) • carb. 48g • pro. 7g • fat 12g • sat. fat 2g • chol. 0mg • sod. 754mg • calc. 11mg • fiber 2g
1. Combine the ⅓ cup warm water with the yeast and a pinch of the flour in a 2-cup measure with pouring spout. Stir to dissolve yeast; let rest 3–10 minutes until foamy. If the yeast does not foam, it is not active; discard and begin again with fresh yeast.
2. Insert the dough blade. Place the flour with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and 2 teaspoons of salt in the work bowl. Process to blend, 10 seconds.
3. Add the cold water to the yeast mixture, stir to blend. With the machine running, add the liquid through the small feed tube in a slow steady stream, as fast as the flour will absorb it. When liquid is absorbed and mixture has formed a ball of dough that has cleaned the sides of the work bowl, process for 45 seconds longer to knead.
4. Coat dough with ½ tablespoon of the olive oil. Place in a resealable food storage bag, squeeze out the air and seal, allowing space for dough to rise. Allow the dough to rise in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled, about 1 hour.
5. Spread 1 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil in a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan. Punch the dough down and let rest for 5 minutes. Press the dough into the prepared pan until it fills it completely.
6. Cover with a sheet of oiled plastic wrap and let rise again in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
After 45 minutes, arrange the oven rack in the lower third of the oven, and preheat the oven to 450ºF.
7. Make dimples in the surface of the dough with your fingers. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil, spreading gently with hands.
8. Sprinkle with coarse salt and herbs if using. Bake in the preheated 450ºF oven for about 25 minutes, until deep golden. Transfer to a cutting board, slice and serve warm, or transfer to a wire rack and cool if serving at another time. For longer storage, wrap and freeze.