Makes 1½-pound loaf
¾ cup bread flour
½ cup water
pinch yeast, active dry or instant
Overnight sponge, proofed
¾ cup water, cool
3 tablespoons olive oil
2½ cups bread flour
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons yeast, active dry, instant or bread machine
Nutritional information per serving (2-ounce slice):
Calories 63 (21% from fat) • carb. 16g • pro. 3g • fat 2g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 0mg • sod. 194mg • calc. 1mg • fiber 1g
1. Prepare the sponge: Put the flour, water and yeast into a large bowl. Mix until smooth. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or with a damp towel.
Let sit at room temperature overnight or up to 24 hours to proof. It will have small bubbles and a pleasant, sour aroma.
2. Put dough ingredients, starting with the proofed overnight sponge, in the order listed, into bread pan fitted with kneading paddle. Secure bread pan into the
Cuisinart® Bread Maker.
3. Press the PROG button to select the Artisan Dough program. Press START/STOP to begin the dough-making process.
4. When cycle is complete, transfer the dough to a parchment-lined baking pan. Shape into an oblong oval shape, about 12 inches in length.
Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rest for about 20 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 425°F with a rack in the middle position. Once oven is preheated, uncover dough and dust lightly with additional flour. Bake until lightly
browned and hollow sounding when tapped, about 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Bread slices best when allowed to cool completely