1/3 cup milk, regular or lowfat, room temperature
3 large eggs, room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small cubes
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast, active dry, instant or bread machine
egg wash – 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Calories 198 (35% from fat) • carb. 26g • pro. 6g • fat 8g • sat. fat 4g • chol. 69mg • sod. 222mg • calc. 36mg • fiber 1g
1. Place all ingredients except the egg wash, in the order listed, into the bread pan fitted with the kneading paddle and secure in the Cuisinart Bread Maker. Press the menu button to select the dough program. Press start to mix, knead and rise. This dough is very soft, it is recommended to scrape the bowl after 10 minutes of kneading to ensure even mixing.
2. When cycle is completed, remove dough and transfer to a well-buttered bowl. Punch down to deflate and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Deflate dough. For a 1 1/2 pound loaf, remove a small piece of dough, about 1/6 of the dough. Shape the large piece into a ball and press into a buttered 6-inch brioche mold. Press a hole in the center about 1-inch deep. Shape the smaller piece into a ball and place in the center hole.
4. For individual brioche, follow the same shaping directions, and place in 1/2-cup brioche molds. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free place about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Brush brioche(s) with egg wash. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes for larger brioche and 15 to 20 minutes for individual brioches. Brioche should be rich and golden in color and hollow sounding when tapped. Remove from pans and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes on a rack before serving.
*Gently and safely warm cold eggs by placing whole eggs in a bowl and covering with moderately hot tap water for 10 minutes.