Here's a tasty way to sneak a little extra nutrition into your childrens diet. Not only is this moist bread packed with nuts, raisins and zucchini but I've added grated Granny Smith apples for even more moisture and flavor. A streusel topping is added as the icing on the cake, so to speak.
2c shredded zucchini, mostly skin
1c peeled and grated granny smith apple
3 ⅓c all-purpose flour
2t baking soda
½t baking powder
½t ground cinnamon
½t ground cardamom
1t ground cloves
⅔c coarsely chopped walnuts
½c light brown sugar
½c all-purpose flour
⅓c chopped walnuts
No nutrition information available
- Heat oven to 350. Grease bottoms only of 2 - 9x5x3 loaf pans
- Mix sugar and shortening in a large bowl. Stir in zucchini, apple, water, eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Stir in walnuts.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir. Add the raisins and stir.
- Pour into pans.
- Top each loaf with enough streusel topping to almost cover the surface.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 60-70 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes and loosen sides of loaves from pans and remove to a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing. May be wrapped and refrigerated for 7-10 days.