This airy and crusty loaf proves that making artisan- style bread at home can be so simple.
1 cup warm water (105°F to 110°F)
¾ teaspoon granulated sugar
1¾ teaspoons active dry yeast
3 cups bread flour (or unbleached, all-purpose flour)
1/3 cup wheat bran
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Egg wash (1 large egg and 1 tablespoon water, whisked together)
Nutritional information per serving (2-ounce slice): Calories 95 (15% from fat) • carb. 17g • pro. 3g fat 2g • sat. fat 0g • chol. 12mg • sod. 219 mg • calc. 2mg fiber 1g
- Stir together the warm water, sugar and yeast in the Cuisinart® mixing bowl. Attach the dough hook. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes until the mixture is foamy and bubbly.
- While the yeast is proofing, combine the flour, wheat bran and salt in a separate mixing bowl.
- Once the yeast is foamy, add the flour mixture and the olive oil and turn the mixer on to Speed 2, until dough comes together as a ball and cleans the side of the bowl.
- Once dough ball is formed, continue to knead on Speed 2 for about 4 to 5 minutes. Dough should be smooth. If sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until smooth. Alternatively, if the dough seems too dry, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time.
- Shape the dough into a ball in the mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place for about an hour, until doubled in size. Punch the dough down, reshape again into a ball, and cover with plastic wrap to rise until doubled in size again.
- Gently punch down the dough and shape into a tight, large round. Put the round on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise one last time, about 30 minutes.
- While bread is proofing, preheat oven to 400°F. When ready to bake, cut an “X” into the top of the loaf with a serrated knife, brush with egg wash and bake for about 30 minutes, until bread is nicely browned and has an internal temperature of 200°F. Remove bread from oven and cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!