This airy and crusty loaf proves that making artisanal-style bread at home has never been easier.
1¾ teaspoons active dry yeast
¾ teaspoon granulated sugar
1 cup warm water (105˚ to 110˚F)
3 cups bread flour
1⁄3 cup wheat bran
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
1½ tablespoons olive oil
egg wash (1 large egg and 1 tablespoon cold water whisked together)
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 127 (15% from fat) • carb. 23g • pro. 4g • fat 2g • sat. fat 0g
• chol. 16g • sod. 292mg • calc. 3mg • fiber 1g
1. In a measuring cup, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Let stand 5 minutes, or until mixture is foamy.
2. Put the flour, wheat bran and salt in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the dough or metal chopping blade and process for 10 seconds. Add the oil. With the machine running, slowly add the liquid through the feed tube and process until a dough ball forms . Continue processing 1 minute to knead the dough. Shape the dough into a ball and put in a large bowl that has been lightly floured. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
3. Punch down the dough, reshape into a ball and cover the bowl again with a clean piece of plastic wrap. Let rise 1 hour.
4. Gently punch down the dough and shape into a tight, large round.
Put the round on a piece of parchment and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 30 minutes.
5. Adjust the rack to position 1 fitted with the pizza stone. Preheat oven by selecting Bake with Convection at 400°F for 40 minutes. Once the oven beeps to signal that it is preheated, continue heating the stone for 10 minutes more before adding the bread to the oven.
6. While the oven and stone are heating cut an X into the top center of the loaf with a serrated knife, brush with the egg wash and place carefully, with the parchment, on top of the hot pizza stone. Bake for the remaining 30 minutes.
7. Bread should be nicely browned and have an internal temperature between 200˚F and 207˚F. Remove bread from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.