Makes about 6 cups
1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium celery stalk, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ pound ground beef
½ pound ground veal
½ pound Italian sausage, casing removed
1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
¼ cup whole milk
¼ cup dry white wine
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 large can (28 ounces) tomatoes, roughly chopped
Nutritional value information per serving (½ cup): Calories 129 (60% from fat) • carb. 3g • pro. 9g • fat 8g • sat. fat 3g • Col. 29mg • sod. 280mg • calc. 88mg • fiber 1g
1. Insert Metal Chopping Blade. Add 1 onion, carrot and celery stalk, each cut into 1-inch pieces with 2 garlic cloves to the work bowl. Secure the Cooking Lid. The processor is set to chop for 8 seconds on Speed 12.
2. Replace the Metal Chopping Blade with the Stirring Paddle. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Secure the Cooking Lid. The cooking time is set for 8 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2.
3. Once vegetables have softened and become fragrant, add ½ pound each ground beef, ground veal, and sausage without the casing with 1 teaspoon salt.
4. The cooking time is set to 15 minutes at 285°F on Speed 2. Cook until meat is completely cooked through.
5. Add ¼ cup milk. An additional 5 minutes of cooking time is set.
6. Add ¼ cup white wine. An additional 5 minutes of cooking time is set.
7. Add ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and 28-ounce can tomatoes. Break up the tomatoes and meat well with a spatula. The cooking time is set for 2 hours at 205°F on Speed 3.
8. Should the sauce be boiling too rapidly, reduce the cooking temperature to 200°F.
9. When time expires, taste and adjust seasoning according to preference.