For a savory side dish, use this stuffing in portobellos.
Makes 20 to 24 1½-inch stuffed mushrooms
1¾-inch slice French bread, cut in 4 pieces
½ ounce Romano
2 tablespoons lightly toasted pine nuts or walnuts
1 can (15 ounce) artichokes, well drained, gently squeezed in paper toweling to remove excess moisture
1 small clove garlic
1 shallot, about ½ ounce
5 ounces fresh spinach, tough stems removed
½ teaspoon herbes de Provence
2 ounces feta cheese, slightly crumbled
2 ounces cream cheese (regular, not low or non-fat), cut into 1-inch pieces
20-24 1½-inch white button or cremini mushrooms
Calories 34 (53% from fat) - carb. 3g - pro. 2g - fat 2g - sat. fat 1g - chol. 5mg - sod. 113mg - calc. 28mg - fiber 1g
1. Insert the metal blade. Place the bread in the work bowl and process for 45 seconds to make crumbs.
2. With the machine running, drop the Romano down the feed tube, and process for 30 seconds until ground. Stop the machine and add the pine nuts, pulse 5 times to coarsely chop. Transfer and reserve to a separate bowl.
3. Add the artichokes to the work bowl; pulse 10 to 15 times to chop. Add to the breadcrumb mixture and set aside. With the machine running, drop the garlic and shallot through the feed tube, process for 5 seconds to chop. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the spinach, about 2 ounces at a time, and pulse 12 to 15 times to chop after each addition. Add the herbes de Provence, feta and cream cheese, process for 20 seconds to incorporate. Add the reserved bread crumb mixture, pulse 15 to 20 times to incorporate. Transfer to a bowl. The stuffing may be made up to 2 days ahead.
4. Rinse and dry the mushrooms thoroughly. Remove the stems and discard or reserve for another use. Preheat oven to 425°F. Stuff each mushroom with a tablespoon of the spinach mixture.
5. Arrange the stuffed mushrooms in a shallow baking dish that has been lightly coated with olive oil, do not crowd. The mushrooms may be stuffed up to 8 hours ahead. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate. Do not freeze. Bake the mushrooms in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.