beef short ribs
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 jalapeno or poblano (green pepper with heat level to taste), diced
garlic, diced small
red pepper flake
1 Can of petite diced tomatoes
1 Can of black beans
Optional cold toppings:
lettuce, diced tomatoes, red onions, scallions, sour cream
No nutrition information available
1. Add oil and heat pan to smoking. Blot dry and salt/pepper short ribs. Sear ribs on all sides. Set aside.
2. Turn down heat in pan and sweat onions and peppers until desired consistency. Add garlic and sweat for another minute. Add spices and toast for another minute. Add tbsp of tomato paste and cook for another minute. Dust with flour and toast for another minute. Add can tomatoes, place short ribs on top and simmer.
3. Braise ribs by transferring to slow cooker on low for at least 4 hrs or cover with foil and place in 300 degree oven for 2-2.5 hrs (Periodically check that braising liquid is sufficient. If not, add water or beef broth or even beer!).
4. When meat is falling off bone, shred with fork and mix with braising sauce and fresh cilantro. Spread nachos on oven-safe serving dish. Cover with drained black beans, short ribs, and cheese. Heat in over until cheese is melted.
5. Add cold toppings such as shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, red onions, scallions, sour cream, etc.