Diced green chilies, crisp pieces of smoked bacon and cheddar cheese combined with pumpkin create an extraordinary flavor combination for the filling in this savory tart. Ideal served either as an entree or appetizer.
1 (for 9 to 10-inch) refrigerated pie crust (or homemade, see recipe)
¼ cup green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1⅓ cups canned pure pumpkin
1¼ cups half-and-half
4 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 (4-ounce) can diced mild green chiles
6 slices smoked bacon, fried crisp, drained and crumbled
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin Aged Cheddar Cheese, shredded
No nutrition information available
1. Preheat oven 450°F (230°C).
2. Fit pie crust into pan; flute edges. Prick all over with fork. Bake 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (175°C).
4. For Filling: saute onions in butter in small skillet about 3 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat.
5. Combine pumpkin, half-and-half, eggs, chiles, bacon, seasonings and sautéed onion in large bowl, mixing well. Stir in cheddar. Pour into prepared pie shell.
6. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.