Makes about 6 dozen
2½ cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 teaspoons coarsely ground peppercorns (rainbow peppercorns make an excellent choice)
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
1⅓ cup finely grated Parmesan
1 cup unsalted butter, cubed and at room temperature
3 large eggs, room temperature
½ cup whole milk, room temperature
1 large egg (for egg wash), well beaten
Nutritional information per biscotti: Calories 42 (61% from fat) • carb. 3g • pro. 1g • fat 3g • sat. fat 2g • chol. 16mg • sod. 27mg • calc. 8mg • fiber 0g
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Put the flour, pepper, baking powder, salt and Parmesan in a small mixing bowl. Insert the mixing beaters into the Cuisinart® Hand Mixer. Mix on speed 1 until just combined, about 20 seconds. Reserve.
3. Put the butter into a large mixing bowl. Mix on speeds 3 to 4 until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, until fully combined. Reduce the mixer to speed 1 add one third of the dry ingredients. Once almost fully mixed in, add half of the milk. Repeat, ending with the last third of the dry mixture.
4. Place dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into four equal pieces. Using floured hands, form each into a 12-inch-x-2-inch log (about ¾-inch high). Transfer to 2 parchment-lined baking sheets, leaving about 2 to 3 inches between each log.
5. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the top of each log with the beaten egg. Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned and firm, about 30 minutes. Remove and cool slightly.
6. Reduce oven to 325˚F. Carefully transfer one log to a large cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each log on the diagonal into ½-inch thick slices. Repeat with remaining logs.
7. Transfer slices to the cookie sheets, cut side up, until golden and crisp, about 30 minutes, flipping half-way through baking time. Serve immediately.