A quick and easy appetizer or snack that is loaded with protein but light on calories, fat and carbs!
1 Large Red Bell Pepper
9 slices Thin-cut Deli Ham
1/3 cups Fresh Spinach, Minced
1/4 cups Low-fat Or Fat-free Feta Cheese, Crumbled
8 Egg Whites
1 Whole Egg
1 pinch Salt And Pepper
1 1/2 Tablespoon Pesto Sauce
Diced Fresh Basil, For Garnish
No nutrition information available
1. Turn your oven to high broil and line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Remove the core and seeds from the pepper and cut it into quarters.
3. Place the pepper cut side down on the prepared baking tray and broil until it is completely black. This takes anywhere from 15-25 minutes, so keep an eye on it.
4. Once it is blackened, remove it from the oven and throw all 4 quarters in a Ziplock bag. Seal the bag and throw it in the refrigerator to cool until you are ready to use it.
5. Preheat your oven to 400 F. Lightly spray a 6-count standard size muffin tin with cooking spray.
6. Stuff each muffin tin with 1.5 pieces of ham, making sure you totally cover the bottom and don’t leave holes for the egg mixture to explode out of.
7. Take the roasted red pepper out of the bag and peel off the black skin. Cut half of the pepper (2 of the quarters) into 6 chunks (cut each quarter in thirds), setting aside the other half for later.
8. Place one chunk of roasted red pepper in the bottom of each muffin tin.
9. Place 1 tablespoon of minced spinach on top of each red pepper.
10. Top the pepper and spinach off with a heaping 1/2 tablespoon of crumbled feta cheese.
11. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, the whole egg, salt and pepper. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the 6 muffin tins.
12. Bake for 15-17 minutes until the eggs are puffy and feel set.
13. Remove each cup from the muffin tin and garnish with the pesto sauce, additional roasted red pepper slices and fresh basil.