A deliciously creamy mushroom tart that closely resembles mushroom turnovers without all of the fuss. It can be sliced into wedges as an appetizer or served family-style as a vegetarian main dish.
16 oz. Button mushrooms, washed and chopped
2 tbsp Butter
8 oz. Cream Cheese
6 oz. Sour Cream
2 Pre-made pie crusts (homemade or store bought)
No nutrition information available
Preheat oven to 450°
1. Melt the butter in a non-stick saute pan.
2. Add the chopped mushrooms to the pan, season with salt and black pepper. Cook on medium-low until all of the moisture given up by the mushrooms has evaporated. This should take 10-15 minutes.
3. While the mushrooms are cooking mix the sour cream and the cream cheese until they are well combined. If they are not going together too well, you can heat them up in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften.
4. On a sheet pan, roll out one of the pre-made pie crusts. Place it in the oven for 4 minutes.
5. Let the mushrooms cool till they are just warm to the touch. Mix the mushrooms in with the sour cream and cream cheese mixture until everything is well blended. This is the filling for your tart.
6. Remove the pie crust from the oven, it should just be getting golden.
7. Spread the mushroom mixture evenly across the already toasted pie crust, but be careful to leave 1/2 inch of crust visible around the edge.
8. Roll out the second pie crust and place it over the top of the first crust with the mushroom spread. Push down around the edges to seal the mixture inside the crusts.
9. Make an egg wash by scrambling the egg in a bowl and mixing it with a bit of water.
10. Brush the entire top of the tart with the egg wash. Cut a few small holes in the top for venting.
11. Cook the tart in the oven for 15-20 minutes, checking after 10 minutes for a golden brown top.
12. Let cool and serve in slices.