Close your eyes, take a bite, and you may just think you're having lunch in Italy. I think you'll love the combination melted mozzarella on grilled garlic bread with slices of vine ripened tomatoes, fresh basil leaves and delicious, briny Kalamata olives. Delicioso!
½ medium fresh tomato, homegrown vine-ripened preferably
1 Tbsp butter, softened
1 large pinch garlic powder
2 slices Italian bread or sourdough
1 small pinch sea salt
3 or 4 fresh basil leaves
2 to 3 oz whole milk mozzarella cheese slices
3 or 4 Kalamata olives, pitted & halved
No nutrition information available
1. NOTE: Cook time is only 2 to 3 minutes. Use good quality, whole milk mozzarella and homegrown tomatoes for best results.
2. Slice tomatoes and place on a double or triple layer of paper towels; cover slices with another double layer of paper towels; press lightly to soak up excess juice; set aside.
3. In a small bowl, use a fork to mix together butter and garlic powder; set aside.
4. Preheat Griddler, grill pan or skillet on medium high heat.
5. Evenly place ½ of the sliced cheese on one slice of bread.
6.Place basil leaves over cheese; lay tomato slices on top of basil; sprinkle salt over tomatoes.
7.Place Kalamata olive halves over tomatoes; layer with remaining cheese.
8.Spread ½ of the garlic butter on one side of remaining slice of bread; place, butter side up, on top of cheese.
9. Place the sandwich, buttered side down, on preheated grilling surface. Quickly spread top slice with remaining garlic butter, close lid and press.
10.Grill for 2 minutes or until cheese is melting and bread is nicely browned.
11.Serve immediately or while warm.