Pesto Cheese FondueCuisinart Original Recipe
1 pound mozzarella (not fresh), finely shredded
8 ounces Italian fontina, finely shredded
6 ounces provolone, finely shredded
2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small shallot, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
2 cups dry white wine*, room temperature, divided (note: you may not need all of the wine)
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
1 1/3 cup prepared pesto (homemade or purchased)
*For an alcohol-free version, substitute chicken stock plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice for the wine.
1. Put the shredded cheeses in a large bowl an toss with 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch and all the dry mustard to fully coat. Reserve.
2. Put the olive oil in the fondue pot and set to Setting 5. Once oil is hot, add the shallot and garlic; sauté until softened, about 1 minute.
3. Add 1 cup of the wine and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and bring to a simmer (but not boiling).
4. Once the wine begins to simmer, reduce the temperature to Setting 3–3.5. Slowly add the cheese, about ¼ to 1⁄3 of a cup at a time. Use a nonstick whisk (such as a silicone- coated one) to work the cheese into the liquid. Once the cheese is fully melted into the wine, gradually add more cheese, little by little, alternating with the wine as you go, about 1⁄3 to ½ cup at a time. This ensures that the consis- tency of the fondue will be nice and creamy. (The wine keeps the cheese from separating and from becoming stringy).
5. Once all the cheese has been added (most of the wine will be incorporated as well, but yo may have up to ½ cup remaining) make a slurry of the remaining cornstarch and lemon juice by stirring the two together until homog- enous. Add the slurry to the fondue and whisk to fully combine. Stir in the pesto to combine. If the fondue is too thick, whisk in additional wine.
6. Reduce the temperature to Setting 3 for serving. The fondue should just simmer, but never come close to boiling. Serve with cubes of crusty Italian bread and blanched vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower.
ServingsMakes 6 to 8 servings
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!