Maria’s Awesome Crab CakesUser Submitted Recipe
- 4 green onions or ¼ of a red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- 1 8oz package imitation crab-meat, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- dash Old Bay seasoning
- dash onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- dash ground black pepper
- additional breadcrumbs, parsley, and garlic powder to roll crab cakes in
- extra virgin olive oil
- Heat margarine/butter in skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions until tender.
- Add onions (and melted margarine), crabmeat, egg, ricotta, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and all seasonings to large bowl; stir until combined. Mixture should be slightly moist but able to form into balls. If too moist add more breadcrumbs or parmesan cheese until desired texture.
- Use approximately 2 tablespoons of mixture per crab cake and form ½ inch thick patties.
- Coat each patty with the additional breadcrumb mixture before cooking to give an extra crunch (top and bottom is fine, don’t worry about coating sides). Suggested: pour ½ cup breadcrumbs, 1 tablespoon parsley, and a dash of garlic powder into small ramekin or prep bowl; press patty into bowl to coat, flip over and press again.
- Coat bottom of skillet in olive oil (enough so you have approximately ¼ inch coverage in whole pan); cook crab cakes until nicely browned on each side. Note: due to the additional breadcrumbs, it may be necessary to drain your skillet and fill with new olive oil after 2 or 3 batches of cooking.
- Drain excess oil briefly on paper towels and serve hot. Enjoy!