Caramel Popcorn (CPM100 - Hot Air Popper)Cuisinart Original Recipe
This caramel corn has a buttery toffee flavor. See our directions below to turn this into yummy popcorn balls.
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup popping kernels
1. Put the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, water and salt into a heavy-bottomed small saucepan. Set over medium-high heat and bring mixture to a boil.
2. While the caramel mixture is heating, remove the chute from the popcorn maker and put the kernels into the popping chamber. Replace the chute and insert butter warming cup.
3. Watch the caramel mixture on the stove closely. Using a candy thermometer, monitor the temperature of the caramel. It should be between 240°F and 260°F, not exceeding 260°F. Once it is boiling, and turning golden brown (about 6 to 8 minutes) it should start to thicken slightly. Turn the popcorn maker on to begin popping. Leave the caramel on warm until popcorn is popped.
4. Once corn has popped, take the saucepan off of the heat and whisk in the baking soda.
5. Once the last kernel has popped, turn the unit off. Drizzle the caramel sauce on top of the popped corn and mix to fully coat. Serve immediately.
6. This popcorn recipe also makes delicious popcorn balls. To do so, line a tray or pan with aluminum foil and lightly coat the foil and a one cup measure with nonstick cooking spray. Rub a little spray on your hands as well. Using the oiled measuring cup, scoop out 1-cup of the caramel corn at a time and form into balls. Put onto the oiled foil. Repeat with remaining popcorn – yield should be about 8 to 10 popcorn balls. If not serving immediately, wrap in waxed paper.
ServingsMakes about ten cups
Nutritional information per 1-cup serving:
Calories 89 (36% from fat) • carb. 14g • pro. 1g • fat 4g • sat. fat 2g • chol. 9mg • sod. 24mg • calc. 1mg • fiber 1g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Hot Air Popcorn Maker
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!