Serve these as an appetizer, or with soup in place of crackers.
1 tablespoon prepared pesto
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
1 egg white, beaten until foamy
Nutritional information per twist: Calories 84 (51% from fat) • carb.9g • pro. 2g • fat 5g • sat. fat 1g • chol.0 mg • sod. 66mg • calc. 8mg • fiber 0g
2. Combine the pesto, grated cheese, and half the beaten egg white (discard the remaining egg white). Spread the pesto mixture over one of the half- sheets using an offset spatula; top with the second half-sheet. Use a rolling pin to lightly roll together.
3. With the pastry wheel, cut the sheet in half crosswise, then cut each piece into eight strips, 6 x 1/2 inches each. Twist each strip 3 to 4 times; pinch ends to seal.
4. Place on a tray and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Ten minutes before baking, place the rack in position B; preheat the toaster oven to 425ºF on bake setting.
5. Line the baking pan with a sheet of parchment paper. Arrange 8 puff pastry twists evenly on the parchment-lined pan.
6. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes at 425ºF until puffed and crispy. Remove from the pan with tongs or a spatula and place on a rack to cool. Arrange the second batch on the same pan and repeat. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.