This blooming onion is an impressive looking appetizer
- ½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten well
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1½ teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1 large Vidalia (or sweet) onion, peeled
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Olive oil, for spraying
(based on 3 servings): Calories 177 (24% from fat) • carb. 26g • pro. 8g • fat 5g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 144mg sod. 542mg • calc. 28mg • fiber 1g
- Put the flour into a bowl large enough to dip the onion.Put the eggs and buttermilk into another bowl, and the panko and seafood seasoning into a third bowl.Reserve.
- Trim top of onion to create a flat surface.Leave root end intact.Turn onion over, so root end faces up, and rest it on its flat surface.
- Without piercing the root, cut the onion into 4 wedges.Also without piercing the root, cut each wedge in half; repeat until wedges are about ¼inch thick.
- Turn the cut onion over and carefully, without breaking the pieces off the root, separate the layers; the separated onion will resemble a flower with petals.
- Dredge onion in flour, and shake off excess before dipping into the egg mixture, and then, finally coat each layer evenly with the panko mixture.
- Place the AirFryer Basket onto the Baking Pan.Spray the basket with the nonstick cooking spray.Put the panko-crusted onion into the basket.Spray with oil.
- Set to AirFry at 400°F for 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Serve with Chipotle Mayonnaise or Herbed Yogurt Dip.
See more recipes on
Download it Today!