Recent Posts Subscriptions
- Indian Chicken Curry
- Should I Feed My Baby Fish?
- 4 Fun Wedding Cake Alternatives
- Baby-Friendly French Toast Sticks
August 28, 2013 • Posted by Kalie Vitt
Natural remedies are the oldest form of medicine and have continued to remain popular for many reasons. Natural ingredients are favored for being inexpensive, clean and easy to find. In fact, most of the natural remedies mentioned below can be made with ingredients already found in your kitchen or home. These natural cures are great for treating babies’ symptoms mostly because they are mild, yet still effective.
- If teething and sore gums are making your baby cranky, try rubbing one drop of clove oil mixed with olive oil onto the gums. Clove oil has a natural numbing agent and can work better than some of the over the counter numbing gels. You may also want to try freezing a washcloth dipped in chamomile tea. The cool cloth will relieve swollen gums, while chamomile tea is highly regarded for its soothing effects.
- When your baby is having trouble sleeping at night (and thus so are you), mix in a small amount of herbal tea with your baby’s bottle just before bedtime. Herbal teas are very calming and can cause slight drowsiness. Aromatherapy can also be used for further relaxation. Lavender scents have been proven to relax brain waves and reduce stress.
- An upset stomach caused from colic, gas or indigestion may also be causing troublesome sleep patterns. Ease your baby’s tummy pain by adding a small amount of chamomile tea or ginger into your baby’s milk. Applying a warm heated pad and gently massaging the tummy in a circular motion will aid in alleviating the pain. If your child is having regular stomach pains, introducing probiotics into his or her diet may help prevent the stomach issues.
- Alleviate heavy congestion with simple salt water spray. A few drops into each nostril will begin to clear nasal passages.