Recent Posts Subscriptions
- Indian Chicken Curry
- Should I Feed My Baby Fish?
- 4 Fun Wedding Cake Alternatives
- Baby-Friendly French Toast Sticks
April 29, 2013 • Posted by Rebecca Marber
Cinco de Mayo is one of the most lively holidays of the year--the fiesta of all fiestas. We dance, we sing, we hit pinyatas, and most importantly, we eat Mexican food. With this celebration right around the corner, I got to thinking of just the recipe to whip up this year. Here was my thinking: I really love Mexican food, and I really love Lasagna--so why not put these two together?
This Tex Mex Lasagna is a glorified burrito. It has all the essential ingredients, and in multiple layers! Each bite is filled with just the right flavors: creamy, meaty, and mildly spicy. After baking in the oven for 25 minutes, the cheese is deliciously crispy, making this version of lasagne satisfying to cut into. The recipe below serves 16, and is a great one to bring to a party--just pop it back in the oven and it’ll be ready to be devoured!
Tex Mex Lasagna Serves: 16 2 tablespoons olive oil 2 lbs ground beef 1 onion, chopped 3 teaspoons minced garlic 1 can black olives, sliced 1 can diced green chili peppers 1 can diced tomatoes 1 1/2 cup salsa sauce 2 cans refried beans 2 cups corn kernels 12 (8 inch) flour tortillas 9 ounces shredded colby cheese 1 teaspoon cumin 1 teaspoon salt 1 packet taco seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium heat. Then saute ground beef for five minutes before adding onion, cumin, salt, taco seasoning, and garlic for another five minutes. Once onions have become soft, reduce heat to low and add in olives, chili peppers, diced tomatoes, and refried beans. Let mixture simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Place a tortilla in the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish. Then spread a thin layer of sour cream on top of tortilla, followed by a thin layer of salsa. Then add a layer of the meat mixture, and then a layer of colby cheese. Repeat this pattern until there are no more tortillas or meat mixture remaining.
- Place casserole dish in oven, and bake for 25 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is slightly crispy on top.