The World of Oatmeal
January 4, 2018 • Posted by Jessica Pontoriero
If your new year’s resolution is to eat healthier in 2018, try oatmeal! Oatmeal is not just for eating, it has many different uses too! Now, let’s dive into the world of oatmeal and learn a little bit more about its health benefits:
- Did you know that oatmeal is packed with iron and vitamin B12? These vitamins will help you maintain your energy all day! Try eating a bowl of oatmeal a couple of hours before a workout and watch the oats work their magic!
- Oatmeal is loaded with fiber. Oatmeal’s fiber, Beta-Glucan, helps lower your total cholesterol level and leaves you feeling fuller for longer!
- Oatmeal contains many antioxidants and avenanthramides. Avenanthramides aid in lowering blood pressure, are anti-inflammatory and prevent itching.
- Oatmeal can also help you lower your blood sugar level.
- Need another reason to love oatmeal? It is totally heart-friendly and aids with digestion.
Other Uses for Oatmeal:
Not only is oatmeal delicious, but it can also help with your skin and around the house, too! Take a look at these different uses for oatmeal:
- Acne: Oatmeal helps soothe acne. All that you need to do is prepare a bowl of plain oatmeal and let it cool. Then, apply the oatmeal to your face and body, to help restore your skin and fight against acne blemishes. Oatmeal also moisturizes your skin and will make it shine!
- Odor: Sometimes our fridges smell from leftover food or from food that goes bad. Oatmeal can help keep your fridge smelling fresh! Simply place an open jar of oatmeal in your fridge and good as new!
- Dry Skin: Oatmeal baths will help hydrate your dry skin. Oatmeal baths also help relieve stress and are good for relieving sunburn or poison ivy irritation!
- Hair: Did you just run out of dry shampoo? No problem! Just ground up some oatmeal and mix it will baking soda. This dry shampoo that will help keep your hair looking and smelling clean.
Now that we know a little bit more about the different uses of oatmeal and its health benefits, it’s time to mix up some healthy recipes! Your whole family will enjoy taking a bite out of these oatmeal dishes:
- Oatmeal Waffles
- Banana-Apricot Oatmeal
- Cinnamon Maple Oatmeal
- Oatmeal Pear Crumb Muffins
- Oatmeal Bread
- Oatmeal Apple Cookies