Most little ones love the “do it yourself” aspect of baking. Unfortunately, we can’t always let this happen when ovens, stoves, and raw eggs are involved. But with just a little bit of prep, you can hand them the reins without ever having to think twice.
A cookie sandwich party is the perfect activity for kids. Not only are they fun (for adults too) but they are an interactive way to make children to feel proud of their baked creations. The next time your child is having a birthday party, consider creating a station for “making” these treats. All you have to do is stick these peanut butter cookies in the oven and then call over the young chefs to use whatever fillings they so choose to glue the cookies together.
My favorite cookie sandwich is the classic PB&J, just slightly modified. Although you could always just stick to using regular peanut butter, I wanted to match the sweetness of the filling to the sweetness of the cookies (after all, this is a cookie party, not any old lunch). This special filling tastes great in a 1:1 ratio with jelly. You can also lay out some bowls of Nutella, Fluff, or Vanilla Icing at the station to pair with the cookies. What makes it fun is that the kids get to decide for themselves. It may get a little messy, but then again, it’s always adorable to see happy smiles surrounded by smears of frosting.
Peanut Butter Cookies
Ingredients: 1 cup unsalted butter 1 cup peanut butter 1 cup white sugar 1 cup brown sugar 2 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla 1 teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon salt 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Mix butter, peanut butter, white sugar, and brown sugar in a bowl. Beat in the eggs.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix both bowls together and then let sit in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Roll dough into bowls and place on cooking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Using a fork, flatten each of the balls in a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes in oven until golden.
Special Filling: 1 cup confectioners’ sugar 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter 1 tablespoon milk
Directions: Place ingredients in a mixer and beat on medium speed.