2 lb Lamb a nice mix of meat for Stew
8 oz Peeled onion
1 lg Green apple
1 lb Potatoes
1 oz Golden Raisins
1/2 tsp Sage
1/2 tsp Fresh mint
2 Cloves of Garlic crushed
Salt and pepper — to taste
2 tsp Marmite
1 cup Hot water
1/2 oz Butter or margarine
1. Trim the excess fat from the lamb and cut into neat portions.
2. Slice onions.
3. Peel and core apple and cut into thin slices.
4. Peel potatoes and rinse under cold water. Slice thinly.
5. Cover base of a large casserole with a layer of potato, followed by onions and apple. Add raisins and meat then sprinkle with herbs and a shake of salt and pepper. Top with remaining apple and onions then lastly with remaining potato slices.
6. Dissolve Marmite in the hot water and pour into a dish over vegetables and meat.
7. Dot top with small pieces of butter or margarine then cover with lid or aluminium foil.
8. Bake in center of moderate oven 350f for 1-1/2 hours. Uncover and continue to cook for further 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are golden.