Spinach Dal (for MSC)Cuisinart Original Recipe
A traditional Indian dish based on lentils. Each version is different, depending on ingredients and spices used. This one adds spinach at the end for some color and extra nutrients."
1 tablespoon ghee* or unsalted butter
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon (decrease to 1/2 teaspoon for MSC-400 model) ground cumin
2 teaspoons (decrease to 1 teaspoon for MSC-400 model) garam masala**
1 1-inch piece of ginger (decrease to 1/2-inch piece for MSC-400 model), peeled and finely chopped
1 medium onion (use 1 small onion for MSC-400 model), peeled and chopped
1 jalapeño (decrease to 1/2 jalapeño for MSC-400 model) , seeded and finely chopped
4 garlic cloves (decrease to 2 cloves for MSC-400 model), finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons (decrease to 1 teaspoon for MSC-400 model) kosher salt
3 cups (decrease to 2 cups for MSC-400 model) red lentils
1 large dried chile, left whole
7 cups (decrease to 4 cups for MSC-400 model) water
8 ounces fresh spinach (decrease to 5 ounces, or 1 standard small container, for MSC-400 model)
1. Put the ghee into the cooking pot of the Multicooker set to Brown/Sauté at 350°F. Once ghee melts, add the turmeric, cumin and garam masala. Sauté spices until fragrant, about 2 to 5 minutes. Add ginger, onion, jalapeño and garlic to the pot and sauté vegetables until soft and fragrant, an additional 2 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the salt, lentils, chile and water to the pot; cover and switch the unit to Slow Cook on Low for 2 hours (for the MSC-600) or 4 hours (for the MSC-400).
3. When unit switches to Keep Warm, stir in spinach so that it wilts just before serving.
4. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Stir in additional hot water or broth if a thinner consistency is desired.
*A kind of clarified butter that can be purchased in Indian markets and gourmet and natural food shops.
**An Indian blend of spices that can be purchased in Indian markets and gourmet and natural food shops.
ServingsMakes about 9 cups (for MSC-600); Makes about 6 cups (for MSC-400)
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup):
Calories 265 (11% from fat) • carb. 41g • pro. 19g
• fat 3g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 5mg • sod. 414mg
• calc. 65mg • fiber 11g