Summer Zucchini SoupCuisinart Original Recipe
A great way to use up that surplus of summer garden zucchini – serve cold or warm!
1 tablespoon unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil
2 medium leeks, white and light green parts, sliced*
1 medium celery stalk, cut into small dice*
2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 medium zucchini (about 2 pounds), sliced*
8 ounces white (waxy) potato, peeled and cut into 2- inch pieces
1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup dry white wine
3½ cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves (about 6 medium leaves)
2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves (about 3 to 4 large leaves)
¼ cup heavy cream (optional)
1. Put the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter melts add the leeks, celery and garlic. Stir over medium heat until vegetables soften, about 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Once soft, add the zucchini and potato with 1 teaspoon of the salt and the peppers; stir ingredients together until well coated. Once coated, add the white wine. Simmer until wine is just about evaporated. Add the broth and turn the heat up to bring mixture to a boil. Once the soup comes to a boil, reduce the heat in order to maintain a simmer. Simmer until all vegetables are tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Once all vegetables are tender, add the fresh herbs and blend using the blending shaft. To help facilitate blending, tilt pot to the side away from you to ensure that the protective guard of the blending shaft is submerged. Blend until mixture is completely puréed.
4. Taste and adjust seasoning, add remaining salt to taste if necessary.
5. If using optional cream, add at the very end of blending. Stir in cream and simmer soup for an additional 5 to 10 minutes before seasoning.
*All chopping and slicing can be easily and quickly done in the food processor attachment's work bowl.
ServingsMakes about 6 cups (without cream)
Nutritional information per serving (based on 6 servings without cream):
Calories 109 (17% from fat) • carb. 16g • pro. 4g • fat 2g • sat. fat 1g
• chol. 5mg • sod. 911mg • calc. 50mg • fiber 3g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Smart Stick PLUS® Cordless Rechargeable Hand Blender
Smart Stick® PowerTrio™ High-Torque Hand Blender