Winter White Bean SoupCuisinart Original Recipe
A rich and creamy soup, it will be sure to warm you
up on a cold winter day. If you do not have prosciutto,
bacon would work well in its place.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 ounce prosciutto (2 thin slices), chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped*
1 medium onion, chopped*
1 celery stalk, chopped*
1 tablespoon dry white wine, or vermouth
2 cans (15 ounce) cannellini beans drained (or 1 pound dried, soaked overnight)**
1 rosemary sprig
1 bay leaf
¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt
pinch freshly ground black pepper
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth, reduced sodium
grated Parmesan for garnish
1. Heat ½ tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto to quickly fry. Once crispy, remove and reserve.
2. Add remaining oil and reduce heat to medium. Once hot, add garlic, onion and celery. Sauté until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the wine/vermouth, stirring to deglaze the pan (picking up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan and working into the mixture); let cook until fully evaporated. Add the beans, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper and stir to mix. Heat until beans are warmed through. Add the broth and raise the heat to bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to allow to simmer, partially covered, for about 60 to 75 minutes. Remove the rosemary and bay leaf.
3. Using the blending shaft, blend sauce until puréed. If using a larger saucepan, tilt the pan to one side away from you to ensure that the protective guard of the blending shaft is fully submerged to prevent splatter.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Garnish with a sprinkling of prosciutto and/or grated Parmesan.
* All chopping can be easily and quickly done in the food processor attachment's work bowl.
** When using soaked, dried beans, you may have to add more broth and a bit more salt as well.
ServingsMakes about 6 cups
Nutritional information per serving (based on 6 servings):
Calories 321 (14% from fat) • carb. 44g • pro. 24g • fat 5g • sat. fat 1g
• chol. 3mg • sod. 873mg • calc. 142mg • fiber 16g
This recipe can be prepared using the following Cuisinart® products:
Smart Stick PLUS® Cordless Rechargeable Hand Blender
Smart Stick® PowerTrio™ High-Torque Hand Blender