Corn & Crab ChowderUser Submitted Recipe
6 to 7 small red potatoes, cubed
5 slices of turkey bacon, diced
1/2 onion, chopped
2 (6 oz.) cans of crab meat, drained
Fresh Parsley, chopped
2 tbsp butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 1/2 cups of milk (I used skim)
1 (15 oz.) can of creamed corn
Ground black pepper
1. Take the cubed potatoes and place them in a small, microwave safe bowl. Heat for 2 minutes, place a paper towel over top and set aside.
2. In a large frying pan, put down enough cooking spray to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the bacon and cook on medium heat until heated throughout. Add the onion, and continue to stir until onions become transparent.
3. Add in the crabmeat, a small handful of chopped Parsley, and stir. Let it heat up for a minute or two and then set aside. (*If you are able to have two people as I did, have one of them prep all of the steps above while you do the preparation of the chowder base. If not, I think it's fine to do them in this order.)
4. In a small bowl, place the milk and the chicken bouillon together to let it dissolve.
5. Melt the butter in a large stock pot on low heat. Add the flour and whisk together until it is creamy and becomes an eggshell color.
6. Continue cooking the flour mixture for a few more minutes. Stir in the wine.
7. Once the mixture becomes crumbly, add in the milk and turn up to a medium-low heat. Mix well to make sure the mixture does not become lumpy.
8. When the mixture becomes creamy and hot, stir in the bacon mixture (with the onion, crab, and parsley), cubed potatoes, and creamed corn.
9. Add some pepper to taste, cover and let simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes start to soften.
10. Serve and garnish with Parsley. (I also added some sliced crusty bread for dunking)