Sweet Potato and Pear SoupUser Submitted Recipe
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup carrot, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
3 medium-size sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 pears, peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon paprika
5 cups low sodium chicken broth (or homemade)
1/3 cup whipping cream (optional)
2 teaspoons maple syrup (or to taste)
2 teaspoons lime juice (or to taste)
salt and pepper, freshly ground
1. In a pot, heat butter on medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and saute for 1 minute.
2. Add sweet potatoes, pears and thyme and saute for about 2 minutes.
3. Add paprika and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until sweet potato is soft.
4. Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
5. Return to pot. Add cream, maple syrup and lime juice. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. If soup is too thick add a little extra broth. Season with salt and pepper, adding more syrup or lime juice as needed.
7. Can be made up to 2 days ahead of time.