Cream of Asparagus SoupUser Submitted Recipe
2 lbs Asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces, tips saved
3 Tbsp Butter
1 Medium Onion, chopped
5 Cups Chicken Broth
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
Juice from lemon
1. Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a large stockpot. Add onion and cook over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add chopped asparagus (reserve tips for blanching) and season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook about 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature to a simmer and cover leaving the pot slightly uncovered. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. While soup cooks, blanch asparagus tips until bright green, 1 to 3 minutes depending on size of asparagus. Place in ice water after cooking.
5. Using a blender or immersion blender, process soup until creamy, about 3 minutes.
6. Bring soup back to a boil and stir in heavy cream. Add 1 Tbsp of butter.
7. To serve, ladle into a soup bowl and add tips and a squeeze of lemon juice.