New England Clam Chowder, The Real ThingUser Submitted Recipe
10 slc thick cut bacon
2 lg onions, finely chopped
3 c water
5 lb potatoes, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 qt half and half
1 stk butter
4 can(s) minced or whole clams
6 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 c cold water
1. Cook 8 slices of bacon till crisp in large pot. Remove from pan and set aside, reserving 6 tablespoons of bacon grease in pan.
2. Cook 2 chopped large onions in the bacon grease till translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in 3 cups of water and 5lbs. of diced potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Stir in 1 1/2 quarts of half and half and 1 stick of butter. Pour in 4 cans of minced or whole clams including the juice. Stir in bacon, broken into pieces.
5. Mix 6 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of cold water and pour into chowder. Mix well and simmer covered for about 30 minutes, stirring often.
Servings8 or more
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!