New England Clam Chowder, The Real ThingUser Submitted Recipe
10 slc thick cut bacon
2 lg onions, finely chopped
3 c water
5 lb potatoes, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 qt half and half
1 stk butter
4 can(s) minced or whole clams
6 Tbsp corn starch
1/4 c cold water
1. Cook 8 slices of bacon till crisp in large pot. Remove from pan and set aside, reserving 6 tablespoons of bacon grease in pan.
2. Cook 2 chopped large onions in the bacon grease till translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in 3 cups of water and 5lbs. of diced potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Stir in 1 1/2 quarts of half and half and 1 stick of butter. Pour in 4 cans of minced or whole clams including the juice. Stir in bacon, broken into pieces.
5. Mix 6 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of cold water and pour into chowder. Mix well and simmer covered for about 30 minutes, stirring often.