Irish Asparagus SoupUser Submitted Recipe
In Memory of My Mother on Mother's Day & May/Mammography Month
2 Pkgs Frozen Asparagus Spears (12 oz./pkg)
2 Leeks (or 1 pkg Frozen Chopped Leeks)
1 T Unsalted Butter
3-1/2 C Chicken Broth
1/2 C Frozen Peas
2 T Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 t Salt
1/2 t Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/4 C Half & Half (or no-fat Half & Half)
1/2 t Fresh Lemon Juice
Slivered Almonds (garnish)
1. Cut asparagus tips off & boil for 2 minutes in 1/2 C water; set aside.
2. Cut rest of spears into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Cut leeks lengthwise and clean under running water well; chop into fine slices (or use frozen chopped leeks if available).
4. Cook spears, leeks, butter, salt & pepper (to taste) over medium heat until soft (8-10 mins.)
5. Add chicken broth & simmer 5 minutes.
6. Stir in peas & Parmesan cheese.
7. Process in Cuisinart Food Processor.
8. Return to stove top and stir in asparagus tips, half & half, and lemon juice.
9. Cook a few minutes til reheated and serve, garnishing with a few slivered almonds on top in each bowl.
The peas added at the end make the soup very green.
Low Calorie, Healthy Soup
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!