Irish Asparagus SoupUser Submitted Recipe
In Memory of My Mother on Mother's Day & May/Mammography Month
2 Pkgs Frozen Asparagus Spears (12 oz./pkg)
2 Leeks (or 1 pkg Frozen Chopped Leeks)
1 T Unsalted Butter
3-1/2 C Chicken Broth
1/2 C Frozen Peas
2 T Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 t Salt
1/2 t Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/4 C Half & Half (or no-fat Half & Half)
1/2 t Fresh Lemon Juice
Slivered Almonds (garnish)
1. Cut asparagus tips off & boil for 2 minutes in 1/2 C water; set aside.
2. Cut rest of spears into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Cut leeks lengthwise and clean under running water well; chop into fine slices (or use frozen chopped leeks if available).
4. Cook spears, leeks, butter, salt & pepper (to taste) over medium heat until soft (8-10 mins.)
5. Add chicken broth & simmer 5 minutes.
6. Stir in peas & Parmesan cheese.
7. Process in Cuisinart Food Processor.
8. Return to stove top and stir in asparagus tips, half & half, and lemon juice.
9. Cook a few minutes til reheated and serve, garnishing with a few slivered almonds on top in each bowl.
The peas added at the end make the soup very green.
Low Calorie, Healthy Soup