Split Pea, Fennel and Celery Root SoupUser Submitted Recipe
1 lb green split peas,
5 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
4 Tbsp butter
1 ½ medium yellow onions, chopped
1 fennel bulb
2 large carrots
1 celeriac (about the size of a very large yellow onion)
2 tsp herbs de Provence
1 tsp ground pepper
Salt to taste, about 1/2 tsp
½ pound bacon
Croutons if desired
1. Rinse peas in cold water and pick through them to remove undesirable pieces.
2. Combine peas, broth and water and bring them to a boil, then lower heat to simmer.
3. Remove tops from the fennel bulb; cut it into quarters through the center; remove most of the center, and slice it very thin.
4. Peel the carrots and celeriac. Separately, cut them into chunks, and then use a food processor to cut into small pieces, no larger than ½ inch.
5. Sauté all the vegetables in butter until the onions are translucent. Add to pea mixture.
6. Add spices.
7. Cook bacon in microwave covered with paper towels long enough to render most of the fat away. Cool bacon slightly; chop into small pieces; and add to soup.
8. Cook over low heat for about 45 minutes until done.
9. Puree about ½ of soup in blender or food processor. (Allow it to cool sufficiently.) Alternatively, a hand blender can be used in the pot.
10. Return to desirable temperature; adjust salt and pepper, and serve with croutons, if desired.
Servingsno serving information available
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!