Hearty Black Bean SoupUser Submitted Recipe
Comfort food that sets well
1 small bag of dried Black Beans (2 ¼ Cups)
1 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
12 cups of water
5-6 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 lb of bacon
½ tsp. of ground /diced dried garlic
2 Packages of Kiebasa/Sausage
2 Boxes of Chicken Broth
2 Medium large diced onions
1 tbsp. parsley
4 stocks of diced celery
4 medium tomatoes, cored and diced
½ cup of fresh diced cilantro
Salt to taste
Sour Cream and graded cheese of choice (I used the 3 cheese graded mixture)
• Rinse the beans and add to large pot with the water and bring to a hard boil and cover and turn down the heat to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Keep covered and let set for 1 hour, then rinse the beans and set aside.
• While the beans are cooking: In a large skillet, cut the bacon into one inch lengths and fry to just about crispy. The bacon fat will fry the other veggies and add flavor to the soup. If your bacon is very greasy leave just enough to fry the onions.
• Add ¾ of the diced onions and cook to the onions are transparent
• Take the Sausage/Kiebasa and cut lengthwise and then cut horizontal in 1/3 inch pieces. Add to the onion and bacon mixture. Cook and additional 3 minutes.
• In a large stock pan; add all the ingredients and cook on medium heat for about an hour stirring occasionally.
• Top with sour cream and cheese if you please.
*The 1 tsp. of Cayenne Pepper will be a very mild spice. To make more spicy just add more to taste.
Will make a nice sized pot to feed the whole family.