Braised FennelCuisinart Original Recipe
Braising is one of the most rewarding
preparations for fennel. It sweetens the
vegetables and brings out
the rich licorice tones.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 fennel bulbs (about 1½ to 2 pounds in total), cut into ½-inch slices (save the fronds for another use)
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1⁄3 cup dry white wine
1½ cups chicken broth, low sodium
½ teaspoon grated orange zest
¼ cup oil-cured black olives, pitted and halved
1. Put the oil into the cooking pot of the Multicooker set to Brown/Sauté at 375ºF.
2. Once unit has preheated, add one third of the sliced fennel. Sauté about 2 to 4 minutes per side, until golden brown. Remove and reserve; repeat with remaining fennel.
3. Put all of the fennel back into the cooking pot and season with the salt and pepper. Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the broth. Reduce the heat to 300°F. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the fennel is fully softened, sweet and fragrant. Add the zest and olives to the pot during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
5. Serve immediately.
ServingsMakes about 3 cups
Nutritional information per serving (½ cup):
Calories 90 (57% from fat) • carb. 7g • pro. 2g
• fat 6g • sat. fat 1g • chol. 6mg • sod. 112mg
• calc. 40mg • fiber 2g
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!