Buttery Dinner RollsCuisinart Original Recipe
The perfect complement to any dinner. After your first bite, you will never go back to store-bought rolls again."
½ cup whole milk
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1¾ teaspoons active dry yeast
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 cups bread flour, plus more as needed
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Put the milk and water in a small saucepan set over medium heat. *Bring to 105°–110°F. Remove from heat and add the sugar and yeast. Stir to dissolve and let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add beaten egg; stir to combine. Transfer to a large measuring cup to make it easier to add to the food processor.
2. Insert the dough blade into the food processor. Add the flour, butter and salt and process on the dough speed until combined, about 15 to 20 seconds. With the machine running on the dough speed, slowly pour the yeast mixture through the feed tube, adding only as fast as the flour absorbs it (you may not need all of the liquid mixture). After the dough forms a ball, process for 45 seconds
to knead. Dough should be smooth and elastic. If dough is too wet, sprinkle a tablespoon of additional bread flour over the dough and pulse to combine, adding more flour, 1 teaspoon at a time, until a tender dough is achieved.
3. Put the dough in a lightly floured plastic food storage bag with the air squeezed out, or in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. Let rise in a draft-free warm place until it has doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
4. Lightly butter an 8 or 9-inch round baking pan. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces, about 2 ounces each. Roll into smooth rounds and arrange in the prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until about doubled in size, about 30 to 40 minutes.
5. Preheat the Compact Toaster Oven Broiler set to Bake at 350°F with rack in position A for 5 minutes. **Bake the rolls until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on a rack for about 10 minutes before serving.
*You can also warm the milk and butter in the microwave. Simply put in a microwave-safe container, such as a glass measuring cup, warm slightly (about 10 to 15 seconds on High, depending on your microwave. Be sure to check temperature). Stir in sugar and yeast to dissolve and let sit until foamy. Continue with directions above.
**For a polished finish, melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of milk and brush the tops of the rolls just before baking.
Nutritional information per roll:
Calories 144 (28% from fat) • carb. 7g • pro. 4g • fat 2g • sat. fat 1g
• chol. 22mg • sod. 157mg • calc. 17mg • fiber 1g