Baked Mac & Cheese with HamUser Submitted Recipe
1 lb. pasta (any shape will do - cavatappi, penne, shells, or macaroni are good)
2-3 T. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
Enough flour to make a roux
Salt and pepper, to taste
3-4 cups of Skim or low-fat milk
3 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 pound diced ham
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Drizzle of olive oil
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Boil pasta according to package directions.
To make the sauce:
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until translucent.
3. Whisk in flour to make a thick roux (you can always add more flour, but you can't take it out!). Cook for a minute or so.
4. Slowly whisk in the milk until it's all incorporated.
5. Bring it up to a boil (should be thickened at that point).
6. Add shredded cheese and whisk until melted/incorporated into the sauce.
7. Mix pasta with the sauce. Add the diced ham.
8. Make topping by mixing together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and a little bit of olive oil.
9. Pour pasta, ham, and cheese sauce mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
10. Sprinkle the topping over the entire dish.
11. Bake for 10 minutes or until top is browned.