Baked Mac & Cheese with HamUser Submitted Recipe
1 lb. pasta (any shape will do - cavatappi, penne, shells, or macaroni are good)
2-3 T. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
Enough flour to make a roux
Salt and pepper, to taste
3-4 cups of Skim or low-fat milk
3 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 pound diced ham
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Drizzle of olive oil
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Boil pasta according to package directions.
To make the sauce:
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onions. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until translucent.
3. Whisk in flour to make a thick roux (you can always add more flour, but you can't take it out!). Cook for a minute or so.
4. Slowly whisk in the milk until it's all incorporated.
5. Bring it up to a boil (should be thickened at that point).
6. Add shredded cheese and whisk until melted/incorporated into the sauce.
7. Mix pasta with the sauce. Add the diced ham.
8. Make topping by mixing together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and a little bit of olive oil.
9. Pour pasta, ham, and cheese sauce mixture into a 9x13 baking dish.
10. Sprinkle the topping over the entire dish.
11. Bake for 10 minutes or until top is browned.
no nutrition information available
Version 3.5 now available for iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire!